I agree with Natalie.  Wait and re-test.  So many other things could be making
that noise in Hope's chest and the diarrhea. I think that certain parasites
like giardia require a special kind of fecal test, not the normal ones that
vets do, so that is definitely a possibility.  Stress from being in the shelter
could be another reason.  One ELISA test is not enough to say that she
definitely has FeLV so there's no need to tell animal control at this point.
Especially since you are paying for everything and not them.  It is weird that
the vet vaccinated her against FeLV when she tested a faint positive.  I had a
friend tell me that her vet told her that the ELISA test is kind of sensitive
and if it's not read at the time it is supposed to be read it can show a
positive.  For example, if they are supposed to let the test sit for 10
minutes, but they let it sit for 15 minutes before checking it then it could
show a positive.

It's also possible for her to extinguish the virus so you need to give her
time, if you can, to see if her immune system can do it's job.

You don't have bad judgement, just an extremely kind heart.  Every cat is
special and deserves a chance.

Maureen