From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Marta Gasper
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:58 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] new member

Debbie

Welcome to the group_albeit circumstances but thats how most of us got
here_I agree with Beth.

The symptoms you describe could be a number of diseases. No way to tell for
sure if he has FeLV until he's been tested with a definitive test like an
IFA, though in his case and given his age I'd say his former negative result
is what it is.

I wonder why the vet thought it could be FeLV, specially since he has no
diarrea/soft stools, blood disorders(wich show as blodd in stool). I
wouldn't give him pred unless it is just supportve care, it suppreses the
inmune system, the last thing any cat needs.

However if he has stomatitis I would.

I've had and have FeLV+s cats.

The one I've now is close to last stages, he's playful and animated but has
a chronic URI, soft stools and bloody diahrrea, thrifty coat, sometimes he
staggers, keeps getting sores, sneezes blood sometimes, that is because
can't coagulate well, eats like a horse and hasn't gained an ounce. Well he
has lately but my other cats would be basketballs if they ate like he does.

Besides he tested twice + on the ELISA and comes from a household where most
cats were FeLV+. A hoarding situation, very sad but at least he has a better
life now tho very limited.

Anyways I'd run a test first, to me I wouldn't jump to conclusions,
stomatitis or other disorder sure could be. Don't put him on pred(steroids
or glucocorticoids.

 <http://homelessnomore.webs.com/> http://homelessnomore.webs.com/