From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of
danbin...@netzero.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:51 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] new member

Boy, am I glad to find this website and group.

I think my kitty, Buster (15 yo, neutered male), has FeLV.

He stopped eating about 2 1/2 years ago.  I took him to the vet who was
unable to diagnose what was wrong with Buster, even after several visits.  I
was unable to get an ultrasound, which she said was the next step.  She
decided, with the information that she had, that Buster had
cholangiohepatitis.

Vet put him on 5 mg prednisolone and Cyroheptadine (appetite stimulant)

After trying to wean him off, unsuccessfully, he had been on these drugs for
2 years.

Yesterday, I was speaking to a (different) vet on the phone, and when I
described Buster she said she thought FeLV.  She said if he had a liver
disease, I would see jaundice.  Buster does have a number of clinical signs:
little appetite, slow but extreme weight loss, minor stomatitis, poor coat,
occasional eye problems.  No fever, no wounds, no diarrhea.

In 2009, Buster's last blood test (which was fine), he had the ELISA test
which was negative.

I forgot to mention that Buster did not get sick until I brought an 11 year
old rescue into the home.  All of my cats (3) are indoor only

I guess my question, after this very long explanation (sorry), is are there
any cats being treated only with prednisolone?  I am not able to take Buster
to the vet due to a number of reasons.  After almost 3 years, he has taken a
big turn for the worse.  Usually, rebounds (with syringe feeding), but I
don't think so, this time

Thank you so much

debbie  & buster