From: Lee Evans <moonsiste...@yahoo.com>
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org" <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Vaccination question

I would be very, very cautious about vaccinating a cat agaimst FeLv.  Several
people I know had the miserable experience of their cat contracting leukemia
after being vaccinated. I wouldn't swear that the vaccine was the source of the
infection but these cats were not ever outside the house.  They were not
exposed to any other cats.  They may have had the disorder lurking in their
bone marrow and the vaccine sensitized them to getting the illness or they may
have gotten it from the vaccine.  In addition, there's the danger of
vaccine-site sarcoma. I have had cats living with me for most of my life. Most
of them survive well into what is considered old age for cats - 16 to 20
years.  Simply testing cats before adding them to my community assures that
they will not be exposed to FeLv. I don't vaccinate, except when I send cats to
adoption. FVRCP is required for that.  Of course, the rabies vaccine is
required by law in most States but other than
 that, I feel that veterinarians push vaccines for cats for all the wrong
reasons.

Lee