Hiya Kathryn and everyone.   The federal statute you were referring to,
Kathryn, is Section 1983, and my step-brother, Sheldon Eisenberg, is the
one who wrote the "Section 1983 to the rescue", on Nathan's site you found,
and Sheldon used it in court representing Cathy Nguyen and Nathan against
Los Angeles County Dept of Animal Care and Control, which he won a
stipulated order from the judge in that lawsuit. (Not that it does any good
at all, now, but ...  whatever.   lol)

I did not intend to correct any person in particular, just wanted to
mention the name of the law, which is really easy to forget, actually, but
really wonderful to be able to use for all being a FEDERAL STATUTE, and
there are a lot of rescuers in here.

~Kat~