I have given one of my girls a new name - Garbage Can because she wants to eat 
everything I eat.  She was a feral, had her tail bitten off by a raccoon, 
weighs 6 lbs and is always the first one to the food bowl.


---- Marcia <marciabmar...@gmail.com> wrote: 
> Good question!  Kay, my mother had Collies and pressure cooked whole chickens 
> for them. We'd come home do
>  School and smell that, thinking, yum!! Chicken and dumplings!!! Uh-uh! Nope! 
> Chicken for the dogs! Lol, I ended up just like my Mom(-:  except of course, 
> now I don't eat the meat.
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> On Sep 1, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Kat Parker <korruptaki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> > I have been vegetarian a few years, but I often buy and cook chichen for 
> > the cats.  I boil it, then shred it, and almost always have a bowl of it in 
> > my fridge and/or freezer for them.  My friends think I am whacko because of 
> > that. I don't ever eat it, but I know cats have different needs, and they 
> > need meat. I , naturally have the option, being omnivorous, but they don't 
> > have the same choice in their diet, as you all well know.   About once a 
> > month, I am a chicken cooking fool, on a fairly large scale.  (I always 
> > apologize to the birds.  haha)
> > I've also heard that cats cannot taste "sweet", Kathryn... I am baffled by 
> > this.  I know that they love the taste of Karo syrup, and even concentrated 
> > SUGAR WATER is often used on the gums of kits to stimulate a little 
> > appetite, especially the wee ones who need to take a bottle.  Also, though 
> > I have never tasted it, I heard anti-freeze is "sweet", and that is why so 
> > many cats are poisoned by it.  This sounds like such a contradiction to me, 
> > and I wonder, if it's not the "sweet" they taste  in the syrup, what is it? 
> >  And in sugar water, there is only sugar...and water.  What else could it 
> > be?
> > 
> >    Kat 
> > 
> > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > From: Kathryn Hargreaves <khargrea...@gmail.com>
> > To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> > Cc: 
> > Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 02:55:28 -0800
> > Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FELV+, Struvite Crystals, and Nutrition
> > I've been vegan for almost 20 years (vegetarian for some some before that), 
> > so it's always funny when people see me buying so much meat for the cats.
> > 
> > 
> > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > From: Kathryn Hargreaves <khargrea...@gmail.com>
> > To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> > Cc: 
> > Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 03:38:11 -0800
> > Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FELV+, Struvite Crystals, and Nutrition
> > Some of my cats adore veggies.   Cats can't taste sweet, did you know?  No 
> > receptors for it.
> > 
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Beth <create_me_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > They might just like veggies, plus corn is sweet. My cats are obsessed with 
> > lettuce.
> > 
> > Beth
> >  
> > Don't Litter, Fix Your Critter! www.Furkids.org
> >  
> > 
> > From: Lee Evans <moonsiste...@yahoo.com>
> > To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org" <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org> 
> > Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 6:46 AM
> > 
> > Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FELV+, Struvite Crystals, and Nutrition
> > 
> > There's so much corn in cat food that when I opened a can of corn for 
> > myself recently, one of my cats ran over and began gobbling it.  Sheesh!  
> > Since I'm a vegetarian, they don't get leftovers like hamburger and 
> > chicken.  So they eat my corn and tofu.  Weird world.
> > 
> >  
> > Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty 
> > neighbors too!
> > 
> > 
> > From: Kathryn Hargreaves <khargrea...@gmail.com>
> > To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org 
> > Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 1:11 AM
> > Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FELV+, Struvite Crystals, and Nutrition
> > 
> > Not only are corn, wheat, and soy not cat food (they can't digest veggies 
> > very well, much less grains, which can give them diabetes and IBD), but 
> > unless the corn and soy are organic, they are most likely GMO, and soy can 
> > give cats Hyperthyroidism (I learned this the hard way on a 7-month-old who 
> > died).   
> > 
> > Yes, fish dries the system (ours, too), and is a mercury risk.
> > 
> > I've already said what I think about dry food.
> > 
> > 
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM, <dlg...@windstream.net> wrote:
> > My Homey has had several bouts of crystals.  She liked the Hill's SD canned 
> > food, but not the dry.  I had taken my guys off Hills because they ahve 
> > corn, wheat and soy and they are allergic to those ingredients.  I now feed 
> > Blue buffalo dry DUCK.  We love that and also the duck canned food.  We 
> > hate chicken and fish which is okay because the vet said fish can be part 
> > of the problem.  I have tried to get them off the dry, but not too much 
> > luck.  Right now, Homey is okay.  I got water fountains and everyone loves 
> > them.  It recirculates the water thre a filter.  The plastic ones are okay, 
> > but need to be cleaned out more often.  I got one on line that is stainless 
> > steel.  Much better, lower profile so I can open cabinet doors without 
> > hitting it and it does not need to be cleaned as often.  With the 
> > fountains, the water is always moving, makes noise and they do drink more 
> > water.  You might try them.
> > 
> > 
> > ---- Emma Beauchamp <weazy...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hello All,
> > 
> > My cat Gertrude Penelope Pennyapple is a one year old baby and she has had 
> > FELV probably since she was born. She has always been very healthy despite 
> > the FELV and a chronic upper respiratory infection, but recently (Sunday 
> > night) she contracted a UTI.  She had a urinalysis at the vet and 130 
> > dollars later she was diagnosed with an UTI, and Struvite Crystals were 
> > present in her bladder.  I was given an Antibiotic called Orbax and given 
> > Hill's Science Prescription diet S/D.  I bought a bag of Dry Food and a 
> > couple of cans of wet. 
> > 
> > My picky/anorexic cat hates both of them! She ate 1/3 of a can of the wet 
> > food yesterday, but hasn't touched it today, and she just kind of giggled 
> > at the dry food and turned away. 
> > 
> > 
> > After reading a few articles online, I'm kind of mad they sold me the dry 
> > food in the first place, since a big part of the struvite crystals is water 
> > intake!
> > 
> > I was wondering if anybody has dealt with this issue before, and if so what 
> > kind of food/diet did you switch to?
> > 
> > Before the prescription food I was feeding Gertie Whiskas brand meaty 
> > selections dry food, and occasionally their wet food as well.  I used to 
> > feed her exclusively Blue Buffalo Wet Food, but this summer funds were 
> > tight so I switched to the Whiskas, and she seemed to like it more anyway!
> > 
> > So any suggestions/experiences would be welcome and helpful!!
> > 
> > Emma Beauchamp
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > Felvtalk mailing list
> > Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> > http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > Felvtalk mailing list
> > Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> > http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org


_______________________________________________
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org

Reply via email to