I know how devastated you must feel.  Have they never offered an explanation
for their actions.  I just will not take a cat to a shelter, that is why I have
6 now.  Did have 7 but lost Nitnoy to FELV this Monday.  I have a good vet that
does not say kill just because have FELV or FIV.  He explains the possiblities
and leaves the decision to you.  Nitnoy was with me since 2008, not a long time
, but at least she had a good life up till the last 4 days and she died in my
arms, knowing she was loved.  That is all we can do for them, love them, care
for them and then let them go.  It is worth the pain to know this.  don't give
up helping them, they repay you with tons of love and joy.

--- Alev Durmus wrote: > Dear all, I feel for all of you who lost your cat(s).
I have lost one too many and I can't bring myself to think losing another one.
I would like to share something with you all and ask your opinions and advice
since I am not originally from the US and I don't know how things go over here
plus I might not be thinking straight because I am very upset. This happened on
Saturday and I have been crying since... I came across to this cat-we named her
River-less than 2 weeks ago cross the road from my home in an unused shed. I
usually don't look around but for some reason, I looked towards the shed and
there she was looking at me...She was not moving a lot, sickly and skinny. I
started feeding her, she ate a lot and became more energetic in 2 days. She had
started wandering around since she wasn't starving anymore and I became afraid
of coyotes killing her or cold weather coming soon. I called the local no-kill
shelter to ask what to do. They told me to take pictures and uploaded on their
facebook page in order to locate her owners. She definitely had owners once and
probably was dumped...She was a very loving sweet cat. I suspected, being a
house cat she didn't know what to do to feed herself and that's why she was in
that shape. After a while she was so great, even if she was not in the shed,
she would come running when I called her. A few days later > shelter called and
said they had an opening for her. This was a good timing because of freeze
warning coming to our way. I already have another cat and I didn't want to
bring her home without knowing that she is healthy...We-me and the kids-were
so happy to bring her to safety. They asked me to sign a form saying that I
gave all her rights to the shelter. I was puzzled but knowing that it was a
no-kill shelter I was not that concerned. I put a note saying that I was not
the owner and she probably had an owner...I asked a lot of questions, when
would we know about her health, how can we adopt her, can I visit her etc.? I
told them we were planning to adopt her but my husband needed to be
convinced...They told me the vet would be coming on Thursday and the blood test
would be back and she would be in pet finder after a while. They said no to
visitation and no to adopting her right from the shelter...I said what if
someone adopts her before we see the > ad, please call me etc...And then we
left. I didn't know that I brought her to her death by my hands thinking I was
doing the right thing... I called them Saturday and they informed me that they
"put her to sleep" on Friday because she had FeLV+...I said why didn't you
call? no answer...Between killing an animal and making a phone call they picked
killing her. After I read online that there are many false positive on this
test ( I don;t think anyone bothered to do the second test) and even if she was
positive she could be living a long life in a one-cat household...I can't
believe any animal lover would be that quick to kill one without exploring
other options or calling someone-me- who showed extreme interest on saving this
cat...Please anyone let me know if this is what they do in the shelters? Is
there anything we can do to change their policy? She even gave me a line of "
oh, you did such a good job taking care of her, she would have died if not for
you" No one ever mentioned me killing the cat-never...If they did I wouldn't
leave River there. Please drop me a few lines, I am still crying and I think I
owe this to River to at least question their actions...I can't even look over
the shed which is cross the road from my home-impossible to avoid and couldn't
even tell the kids what happened... Thank you for all your help,   Alev
________________________________ From: "ter...@tazzys.org" To:
felvtalk@felineleukemia.org Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:22 AM Subject:
Re: [Felvtalk] Nitnoy and felv BTW...would like to add this nasty tumor grew
so fast within one month before Taz passed. So we were pressed for time and
had to do whatever it would take. TAZZY'S ANIMAL TRANSPORTS/SIAMESE & COLLIE
RESCUE Sultan, WA. 98294 Terrie Mohr-Forker http://tazzys.org/ Non-Profit
national rescue Dedicated to the welfare of animals.     Copyright © 1999-2012
tazzys.org. All rights reserved.     -------- Original Message --------
>Subject: [Felvtalk] Nitnoy and felv >From: >Date: Mon, October 15, 2012 3:07
pm >To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org > >My Nitnoy crossed over today at 12:45.
She had been with me since 2008, survived a raccoon biting of her tail and
being FELV +. There was nothing to idicate whaat was going on. During the
holidays, she was not doing well so took her to ER. They did x-rays and
complete bloodwork. I had told them she was FELV+ but they did not seem upset
that she was just 1 point low on red and white cells. After the holiday, I took
her to my vet as she was not improving, had not passed urine or stool. First
thing he did was look at her anal glands. They were impacted and infected. He
cleaned them out and gave her Covina and we brought home Orbax to be given once
daily. Everything was much better, she was back to her self. Then Friday, she
began hiding, not eating or drinking so took her to vet on Saturday. ONE THING
SHE DID THAT STRUCK ME ODD - SHE TRIED TO EAT THE FIRBARK THAT MY ORCHIDS ARE
PLANTED IN. Sat when we got to vet, my dr was not there, but his wife (also a >
vet) was. She said her lymph glands were slightly enlarged and gums very pale.
We did another blood panel. Her white cells were .98 and her red blood cells
were 3.2. Kidney and liver functions were normal as were creatine and bun. We
thought about going to ER for transfusion, but she would have to stay over the
weekend in a cage and we decided the stress would outweigh any good it might do
plus her body might just kill the new blood and we would be right back where we
started plus stress. Again, gave Covina shot and started again on Orbax. I
wanted to try a tonic that has worked wonders on cancers, etc. Vet said ok but
keep a record of what I did in case it worked. She actually seemed to improve.
I was feeding with an eye dropper aruond 50 ml every hour (i can ad mixed with
3 cans hot water so she could swallow and also to egt fluids into her. She got
around 50ml of tonic also. She took a turn for the worse this am at 3:30, but
then seemed to get > better. She was breathing easier, heart was strong and she
responded to my voice and touch. By 12:45, she had gone completely the opposite
direction. I was holding her aganst me as she seemed to like the body warmth
when she gasped 3 or 4 times and the light in her eyes went out. I knew she was
going and I told her it was all right. She held on with her claws, gave a sigh