Yes, and some have even gone so far as to define ``adoptable'' as those for
which they have cages!  Outta space, outta luck.

As Christine probably knows, there are over 200 cities/towns that are now
No Kill.  As for No Kill places being hard to find, at least someone is
looking for them.   In fact, I just realized that my link to the No Kill
communities list is outdated and should be replaced with this, which is the
above someone's blog:

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.no-killnews.com/<http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/>
(see
the right sidebar)

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Christiane Biagi <ti...@mindspring.com>wrote:

> The caveat to the “no kill” (as defined in the Asilomar Accords) is that
> all it means is they will not kill adoptable animals.  Unfortunately, its
> up to the individual shelter/rescue to define what they consider
> “adoptable”.  All too often, facilities that advertise themselves as “no
> kill” really mean that they will kill all ill, senior, problem behavior,
> etc. animals but never kill a healthy easily adoptable animals.  These
> kinds of facilities never ever publish their "euthanasia matrix” which is
> where they define their policy on who they will kill.  True no kills (as we
> think it means & as defined by Nathan Winograd) are tough to find.  I
> volunteer for one such shelter in New Orleans (ARNO) & the handful of
> animals they’ve put down have been terminally ill animals who were either
> comatose or in intractable pain.  They never put down for fiv or felv!  **
> **
>
> ** **
>
> The shelter you cited clearly is a kill shelter & why they wouldn’t have
> alerted you to the cat’s test results & given you some time demonstrates an
> attitude that is unfortunately all too common.  I’m so sorry this happened
> to you but please know that River had love from you—something she likely
> hadn’t had in a very long time.****
>
> ** **

----------------------------
Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!

If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their
life.  Contact your local pound for information.
<http://www.laanimalservices.com/volunteer_fostercare.htm>

If you can't bottle feed, foster an older animal, to save their life, and
to free up cage space.

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by
implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-equation/<http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/>

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org

More fun reading: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

More fun watching: http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos especially
http://vimeo.com/48445902

Local feral cat crisis?   See Alley Cat Allies' for how to respond:
http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=537