Trappers around here do use kittens as ``bait.''   One way I worked out was
to put the kittens in a closed trap/whatever with the closed end of the
trap putting up against it.   Cover the trap except for both ends, and also
the kitten container, and the mom will see going through the trap as the
way to get to the kittens.   Others may do it differently, but that's the
general idea.   That way, you don't lose any kittens.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Lorrie <felineres...@frontier.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Here's a kitten story you should all enjoy. My daughter who helps
> me with rescue work and TNR, has a lot of stray cats at her house.
> There is one feral in particular she has been trying to trap for
> years. This cat produces at least 2 litters a year, and she hides
> the kittens and then brings them around when they are about 9 or
> 10 weeks and as wild as their mother is.  This year she brought
> her 3 kittens earlier than usual (about 3 or 4 weeks old) and my
> daughter was able to gather them up and bring them inside to be
> socialized. BUT how to catch the mom??  She has tried a trap to
> no avail. This is one smart mom cat!  So she set up a large plastic
> storage box on the front porch where she feeds all these strays,
> and put the kittens inside. She had a large screen to put on top
> if mom cat went inside, but she had to hide, as mom cat wouldn't
> go in if she saw Karin. Well quick as a flash the mother grabbed
> one of the kittens and ran!  Karin brought the other two back in
> and the mother cat had the other kitten outside someplace for 2
> days. Karin saw no sign of the third kitten, but when the weather
> got very cold and rainy she finally saw the mom and kitten on her
> porch.  Karin opened the door to get the kitten, and the mother
> tried to grab him and run but the kitten saw Karin and ran to
> her instead!
>
> I think this is an amazing story. Did that kitten remember being
> inside where it was warm, or had he bonded with my daughter before
> his cat mom stole him?  All 3 kittens are now safe, and warm inside
> and learning to eat well.
>
> I hope you enjoyed this story and I wonder if any of you have had
> similar stories to share.
>
> Lorrie and 14 rescued cats and Karin with 18 rescued cats!!
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----

----------------------------
Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!

If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their
life.  Contact your local pound for information.
<http://www.laanimalservices.com/volunteer_fostercare.htm>

If you can't bottle feed, foster an older animal, to save their life, and
to free up cage space.

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by
implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-equation/<http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/>

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.no-killnews.com/ (see the right sidebar)

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org

More fun reading: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

More fun watching: http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos especially
http://vimeo.com/48445902

Local feral cat crisis?   See Alley Cat Allies' for how to respond:
http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=537