 From: Marnie Miszewski <marni...@embarqmail.com>
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org" <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:48 PM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Anemia & blood transfusions

I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed recently, but my baby
is sick and I haven't been on the computer much.

My FELV cat Thomas O' Malley, has non regenerative anemia. He wasn't showing
any signs of illness until one day he spent the entire day hiding in my closet.
I immediately took him in and he was already pale from lack of blood. We gave
him a transfusion and he has been great for 2 weeks. Yesterday he went back in
the closet and we are back in the same situation. The vet recommended against
another transfusion saying its a waste of time and money because the FELV will
continue to attack the marrow and he will continue to need transfusions.

I read that the transfusions can last longer each time you get them, but I
don't know if that's true. Has anyone had a cat in this situation? Did the
transfusion last more than a few weeks?
I have him on iron supplements in addition to the prednisone and doxycycline.

Thanks. I'm so conflicted. I don't want him to suffer!
Marnie