Thanks for reaching out in your desperation to help your mom's kitty.
Sorry you lost your mom, btw.

In my opinion, this cat has to get to the vet, even if only for
euthanasia.  It would be great to do exam/bloodwork first though, if
finances allow -- just in case it's easily treatable.  Euthanasia would be
better than slow starvation.

If she is shy of the standard box trap, then a drop trap is awesome.  See
http://www.livetrap.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30250 for
full kit with trap and transfer cage.   They can be made, too, if you are
handy. I'm totally not, so I bought the drop trap and it is great for
trap-shy cats.

 Failing that, what about asking the vet about some kind of sedative like
acepromazine?  This could be fed via pill pocket or perhaps crushed in her
food.  (I've never crushed it, not sure if it's bitter...  PP have always
worked for me.) This med would make her calmer, more sleepy, and possibly
slow enough where you could very slowly herd her into a trap.  Having a
friend with a large sheet of cardboard could really help.

A large door dog wire crate is great for housing feral cats during
treatment.  Ask a friend with a big dog, if you can borrow their crate.
You can put the trap right inside the crate and work completely hands-off,
especially if the trap has a guillotine door.  If not, it's just a little
more difficult but not impossible.  I recommend the setup as seen at
http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_TO_FOSTERING_A_FERAL_CAT_SAFELY , with
the exception that the trap/carrier door should face AWAY from the crate
door opening, with maybe 6" at most between the trap door and the back wall
of the wire crate.  That way, if you have to work with the cat without it
being secured in the closed trap/carrier, the cat has to come out, turn
around and then head for the door -- that buys you extra time to react.
Bungee cords are great for holding the trap/carrier door open - you can
hook the door and pull it up from external to the crate.  A second bungee
can hold the trap in palce.  An extended wire coat hanger can help grab the
trap door handle too. . For a litter box, I  recommend getting a $3 kitchen
dish wash tub.  The high sides will keep litter from going everywhere, and
it's easy to clean.  I like the 18 liter size tub (
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-18-Qt-Dishpan-White/17011369 ) but I
typically use 42"-48" double door wire dog crates.   Just so much easier to
fit everything in, and to work in.

If she is diabetic, getting her on low carb wet food (no more dry kibble
ever) will in all likelihood put her into remission within a week or two.
Especially if she can get insulin shots for a week or two, but even if not,
the symptoms should drop dramatically with low carb wet food.   I can
advise more on this separately, having worked with diabetics since 2007.

If the cat is hyperthyroid, surgery could be a great option. It is usually
a cure.  The vet at Helping Hands in Richmond is extremely experienced and
will do the surgery for around $500 including bloodwork and everything
else. I just had it done for one of my old girls and she is gaining weight
beautifully.  It was 1/3 the cost of radiation treatment.

You could make an insulated bed for pretty cheap.  A roll of reflectix can
be bought at your local hardware store.  It is a thin flexible
silvery insulation that reflects back 95% of body heat.  Add some straw for
nesting material, and then the Snuggle safe would make it awesomely warm.

 Where are you located?  (town name or something nonspecific like, 45 min
north-west of whatever city)

KG