Thanks, Janine and Susan. I should have noted that I have some tramadol here,
but I'm avoiding using it as I have some compounded buprenorphine due here on
Wednesday. I was considering giving Ember one metacam dose in the meantime.
Would a metacam injection be "better" (more safe for her kidneys) than the oral
dose I would give?

Ember's primary vet consulted with a veterinary oncologist at a nearby
university, and the oncologist said that using opioids now would make them less
effective down the road, which is why she recommended metacam. Granted, Ember
is doing fairly well, but how would we know when to switch from metacam to an
opioid? When is "down the road"?

If anyone has had some experience with feline lung cancer, I'd really like to
hear more about it. My main concern is to make sure that Ember doesn't suffer,
and I worry that, despite only a few minor behavioral changes, Ember is dealing
with significant pain. I wish cats weren't so good at hiding their hurt.

Lance