Lance,

I could totally get behind your Christmas Wish List.  I rescued my first
FeLV+ kitten ten years ago. In that decade, there seems to be little to no
progress made in FeLV prevention and/or treatment.  Instead, the
information I come across is more confusing than it was when I first heard
of FeLV. I understand that a lack of funding and red tape slow down
scientific progress, but come on!  There's a huge difference between slow
down and standstill.

It may be too late for my Polli, but I look forward to the day that FeLV is
treatable instead of something that only supportive care is available for.

-Amanda

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Lance <lini...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Yeah, it does show that persistent infection isn't necessarily inevitable
> when a cat is exposed and infected. It's sad that we don't know more about
> how often regressive vs. persistent happens. There are a lot of things I
> think we need with regard to information. For Christmas, I'd like some
> tangibles:
>
> * an immediate treatment that can hit the virus right after exposure.
>
> Even if it's only useful for 48 hours, that would allow people with bitten
> cats to treat immediately, rather than to wait on the disease process.
> Perhaps this is unrealistic or even science fiction. I think some folks
> have used AZT in these cases, but that seems potentially dangerous.
>
> * a long-term treatment that allows for FeLV+ cats (and FIV+ cats) to live
> with their illness in a similar way to how more people are able to live
> with HIV infections.
>
> This is going to require lots of funding, but we need feline-friendly
> antiretrovirals that are less toxic. Imagine someone getting an FeLV+
> diagnosis for his or her cat in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future, and
> while they are saddened, they know that their cat can live a full life with
> the right drugsā€“the virus will be relatively under control.
>
> * a vaccine that doesn't cause vax site sarcomas.
>
> How hard can this possibly be? Why do we not understand how this happens
> better after a decade of dealing with it? Why is their less vax site
> sarcoma prevalence in the UK and Europe vs. America, when both sides use
> pretty much the same vax?
>
> In my family's case, I think I would have advocated for our girl now of
> questionable status to be vaccinated if I didn't have to feel like I was
> putting her at risk for an aggressive cancer. But, my FeLV+ was isolated,
> and the few accidental meet-ups that they'd had were always quick and
> easily curtailed, so putting Callie at risk of the sarcoma didn't seem
> right. I'm regretting that now.
>

> On Jun 12, 2013, at 2:20 PM, Margo <toomanykitti...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> Hi Lance,
>

>              Thanks! I don't know if I have that or not, but it sounds
> interesting <G>. And it does give me some hope.
>

> All the best,
>

> Margo

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge" Bertrand
Russell