It does have a drying effect on human skin so be sure to wash your hands, arms,
whatever it contacts. That's how this stuff works. It dries out the fleas.
Their underside is soft and it simply dehydrates them like prunes. Don't use a
flour sifter. What I did was take a tablespoon and place it on my shed floor
(where the fleas were really rocking and rolling and the cats were itching and
scritching) and with a regular broom swept it slowly and gently from side to
side and into the baseboard around the floor. I have lino but it's also old and
slight separations between the each glued down part. So then I kept the cats
out for 24 hours (do in good weather if you have an outside enclosure attached
to a cat room) and next day, no polka dots on my pants, no flea bites. Yes, you
can spread it outside but again, don't poof it into the air if you are
sensitive and don't do on windy day.  Flea Busters is also good but it's boric
acid or borax, not good for cats
 to lick from their fur. With diatomaceous earth, you don't have to wait
several days. Fleas are gone over night. However, make sure you don't inhale or
you will get all dried out.

too!