It's food grade DE.  It is perfectly safe to consume - cats, dogs, horses,
people, etc.. It's usually mixed with wet food or water.  It works by
microscopically scratching the bugs//worms which then dessicate.   See
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html or just google.  Sounds like
some can have reaction to breathing it, so extra care to avoid stirring it
into the air is.needed.  I wonder if the mask could stop the tiny
particles.  I haven't ever needed to use it indoors but I appreciate the
cautionary tale shared.

On Monday, July 1, 2013, C PQ <c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I know someone that FEEDS it to her cats. That can't be good after
hearing your experience. If it's a desiccant, then I would think it might
cause internal damage. Anyone know anything about that?

http://www.bluesecurity.com/register/s?user=Y3BxMzc0NQ%3D%3D

>> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:50:19 -0500
>> From: dlg...@windstream.net
>> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
>> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] OT-diatomaceous earth - warning
>>
>> I was really thinking of using it in the yard and on the deck and seeing
how that worked. So far last year and this year we have had NO FLEA OR TICK
PROBLEMS. The cats only go out on the deck, except Harley. He goes into the
woods, but has only had 2 ticks and no sign of fleas. KNOCK ON WOOD.
>> nOW IF THERE WAS A SOLUTION FOR BUFFALO GNATS. They raise huge welts on
me and so I spend most of my time indoors until they are gone. They usually
disappear when it starts getting hot.

>> ---- janine paton <patonjan...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> > I am sorry, I haven't been following this thread but caught the
diatomaceous warning.  Hoping they still make this, but 1-800-flea busters
out of FL. is my favorite product to use.  It's a little work, but I think
I was over zealous the first year.  Third yr I used it, I was not so
diligent, but it worked just fine.  It is safe, and it lasts a year and
that's the real bonus.  Takes a few weeks to work, but it really does.

>> Janine

But