I use program suspension, and have used it for many years with excellent
results. They do not make it here in the US anymore, it comes from the UK,
and I get it from amazon.  It is one of the least toxic flea treatments
available, and that's why I use it.  It's a creamy substance that you mix
in their food.  I have 6 cats, and they eat it willingly...no problems.
I've heard they shut down the plant here in the US because of cleanliness.
I would never put a topical on a felv+ cat.  Be sure to change bedding
daily or at least every other day and vacuum like crazy.  You could also
look into the food grade diatomaceous earth...it takes some time and effort
to work though.  Good luck...Tracey