Hi Everyone

I definitely agree with Ardy. I think that often, valuable time is lost while
we are either given no options at all by the vets, or options that are not
proven to succeed. Also, there is often an initial “crisis” of some kind, that
heralds the start of the virus getting an upper hand in the body. My experience
and what I’ve heard from others is that, generally what happens, is that we
then heave a sigh of relief and think we have dodged a bullet. We take our
babies home and everything goes back to normal (normal appetite, normal
playing, normal behaviour, etc.).

However, I think our complacency and our desire to believe that everything is
now all right, is dangerous and the fact that the vets DON’T tell us that this
is usually just a deceiving lull, is really problematic. Ardy is right – the
virus is usually doing its dirty work quietly, without us noticing until it is
sometimes critical, and I agree with Ardy, that a stressful situation can allow
the virus to dominate.

With my Zander, he had a “mini” crisis in July where his blood results were
very bad, and then he recovered. The vet mentioned it might be FeLV, but we
didn’t know what that was. When it “went away”, we figured we Zander was okay,
and since our vet didn’t recommend any more treatment, we didn’t think any more
about it.

Then, in September, he crashed BADLY. The ER clinic showed me his blood in a
vial and I know what blood in a vial is supposed to look like, and Zander’s
looked like water with some red dye in it. His haematocrit was FIVE! (Normal is
something like 25 to 45). He was put into an oxygen tent because he didn’t have
enough red blood cells to transport sufficient oxygen to his cells.

In my view, in hindsight, I should never have let up in assuming that the FeLV
virus was there and needed to be treated. I believe I should have started
Zander on Winstrol and Doxycycline immediately. I shouldn’t have allowed the
virus to keep reproducing (Doxycyline would have interfered with its
reproduction) and the Winstrol would have encouraged progenitor cells to be
produced in the bone marrow and would have pushed back against the effect of
the FeLV virus on the bone marrow.

Frankly, I also think that the Winstrol/Doxycycline combo is compatible with
many of the other treatments people are using, and I see no reason why
Winstrol/Doxycycline can’t be added to the other regimens. For example, Margot,
you mentioned you are using Interferon and a very low carb diet. If you are
running blood work at all, Margot, you might want to consider putting your cat
on the Winstrol and seeing if you get an improvement in his blood work. I
realize you may not want to, if things are looking okay right now, but again,
the Winstrol will either won’t and you’ll be able to see in a four weeks at
most.

Again, if we had a website, we could keep track of what people try and what
results they get.

Amani