From: Amani Oakley
Sent: June-10-18 3:22 PM
To: 'felvtalk@felineleukemia.org'
Subject: RE: [Felvtalk] Felvtalk Digest, Vol 47, Issue 6

What a very sad story about your blind cat. I understand your heart break. I
too have placed cats into what I thought were excellent homes, only to have a
sad, and an unnecessarily tragic outcome. I have probably adopted out close to
400 cats in the time my husband and I have been rescuing cats. Thankfully, most
of the time, people are just really happy to return a cat to me if things
aren’t working out, but I know only too well that once out of my hands, you’re
at the mercy of what someone else thinks is the right thing to do.

Your email to felv talk goes out to everyone on the list at the same time. I
will often answer regarding FeLV because I was lucky enough to have stumbled on
a medication protocol (which I was calling Zander’s protocol) which treated my
Zander’s FeLV when EVERYTHING else had failed. I used to be a medical lab
technologist so lab results are key to me. When trying Zander on the various
medications that were suggested as assisting with FeLV, I got weekly bloodwork
done and would study the results to see which direction his bloodwork was
going. Nothing worked at all (Interferon, LTCI, combo of prednisone/Doxy) and I
kept him alive with several blood transfusions. When that was no longer an
option because he had had a reaction during his last blood transfusion and the
next one would kill him, I rummaged around in my drawer of cat meds, and had
nothing else at all to try but figured what the hell, and tried him on Winstrol
(Stanazalol) which I thought might at least keep him eating and maybe keep him
alive a bit longer. To my complete and utter amazement and disbelief, after
just a few days on Winstrol, his ivory white gums and inner ears (signs of his
profound anemia) started showing a slight pinkish blush. The next blood work (a
few days later) showed the first uptick in haematocrit that I had seen with him
since the FeLV crisis had begun, which was not brought on by the artificial
increase in red cells from his transfusions.

I kept him on the combination of prednisone/doxycycline/winstrol  for more than
a year, while his haematocrit climbed from 10 and back into the normal
reference range of 25 to 45. Everytime I tried to stop or reduce the dosage of
winstrol, his blood results would show an immediate drop in red cells and
haematocrit, so even though his liver enzymes went way up (the reason Winstrol
had fallen out of favour with the vets), I really had no choice but to continue
since the vets had nothing else to offer me and the alternative was he was
going to die from the FeLV infection. He recovered fully, looked marvelous and
amazing, ate well, and his liver enzymes went right back to normal once I
discontinued the Winstrol – something like 10 months later.

No one seemed to know this combination, and the vets I spoke with seemed wary
or suspicious that this combination would indeed be helpful in FeLV (except
mine – who had of course seen the weekly blood work showing a slow and steady
rise in red cells and ultimately, in white cells and platelets, until his
entire haematological profile looked perfectly fine). At the time, I was
understandably extremely excited by the effects of the Winstrol and I believe
that the Winstrol was able to cause the production of new bone marrow cells
(something it has been found to do in osteoporotic women) and thus, new cells
which could produce the red cells. However, I now also think that the
combination worked because the Doxycycline was able to retard or slow down the
viral replication, to allow the red cell production to move ahead with less
risk that the FeLV would attack the new bone marrow cells. I have been told
that the prednisone helps protect the liver from the Winstrol, but I also think
that it’s anti-inflammatory properties helped in areas like intestinal
inflammation (Zander had lots of trouble eating and keeping the food down). So,
I think maybe I by accident stumbled on this combination, but was able to
understand what might be happening and why it might have worked, because of my
scientific/medical training.

Zander lived another 7 years and died from a heart condition which I wondered
at the time if it was related, and it might have been, but it probably was that
the virus had done a fair amount of damage to certain organs before I was able
to get it under control. We loved Zander to a crazy extent, and I sure as hell
wanted him with us for longer than 7 years, but given that the vets were
telling us there was no hope when he was only six months old, I guess I must
just be grateful that we had him for so much longer than that.

Amani