Hi Sandy

I will step in here, and repeat what I have told so many others on this
chatline.

I am cutting and pasting from one of my first ever posts on this forum:

I would like to share what I think is very important information with others
who have cats diagnosed with Feline Leukemia.

"I am new to this forum so I don't know if my post (below) can be seen by other
members of the discussion forum. If so, I apologize for reposting it a few
times today in response to a few of the posts.

I had a cat with leukemia as a kitten, and he lived to the age of 7 and died
from something else that I don't believe was related to the leukemia. When the
vets told me that they could do nothing for him as a kitten dying with leukemia
(and he WAS dying - his red cells were dropping down to nothing and I had given
him TWO blood transfusions that weren't holding up his numbers to any great
degree) then as a last ditch effort, I tried some Winstrol I had in the
cupboard that a previous vet had given to me for another cat.

This medication turned him completely around. To monitor his condition, we were
performing weekly blood tests on him - CBC, liver function, etc. After being
put on the Winstrol, his red cells and white cell counts began to climb very
quickly and steadily. It was totally amazing and the vets couldn't believe the
lab results either. My beautiful little boy was out of the woods in about six
months. We were obsessively checking the pinkness of his ears, gums and pads to
check the status of his profound anemia, and to our unbelievable joy, he began
to get pink and his lab results just kept getting better after only a few days
on the medication. After about a year, I called back the internal medicine
veterinarian we had seen, and who had told us there was no hope, and told him
of our beautiful cat's recovery. To my surprise - and a little bit of anger -
he said that I had gone "old school" and that Winstrol used to be used but then
there were rumours of possible liver damage associated wit
 h it, and vets stopped prescribing it. This REALLY annoyed me. My cat was
dying and no one thought that maybe, just maybe, some treatment - even with a
potential side effect - was better than no treatment??? In our experience, on a
few occasions the liver enzymes would indeed rise, but would drop back down to
normal fairly quickly after a short break from the Winstrol. We monitored our
beautiful Zander very closely during and after his initial crisis, and if I
thought that maybe he was looking pale again, or if the CBC came back with a
significantly dropping red cell count, we would put him back on the Winstrol
for a 4 to 6 week period, and it would fix him right up.

The Winstrol also really helped to increase his appetite so I could get him to
eat when he was so very sick.

I used it at a level of 1 mg two times a day when he was really sick, and when
he started to recover, I cut it back to 1 mg a day, or even 1/2 mg a day for a
maintenance dose. I would pair it with prednisone (5 mg) and Doxycycline (50
mg) as well.

I have looked after a very large number of strays over the years and I have a
science and medicine background in science and microbiology and laboratory
medicine, so I tested and analyzed the lab results we were getting, using this
knowledge. I have since used Winstrol in my cats in a number of other
situations where vets have told me there is no hope, and I have to say that it
has come through more often than not.

I therefore could not understand the reluctance of the veterinary - and medical
community for that matter - to consider Winstrol, especially in circumstances
where vets are telling pet owners that there are no other options and their
kitten or cat will die.

I have had to do a fair amount of internet research and spoken to a number of
veterinarians about this. I have personally concluded that due to the
association of Winstrol with athletic doping scandals, the scientific community
as a whole has decided to abandon what might indeed be a promising drug. This
saddens me but I simply can see no other explanation. I mean really - does it
make sense to hear from vets that the drug MAY cause liver disease, when your
animal is dying???? Wouldn't you give that option in those circumstances, and
let the pet owner understand the risks??? Personally, I think that the risk of
permanent liver damage is not a significant risk. The information I have been
able to find - buried so very deeply as to be almost unable to be found on the
Internet - points to any change in the liver enzymes as being transitory and
not representing any lasting liver damage. That was certainly our experience.
Because Zander's condition was so dire, even when his liver enzymes
  started to go up, I decided to keep him on the Winstrol because I could see
that his bone marrow had turned back on again and he was producing red cells (
with his reticulocyte level starting to go up from basically a zero level). He
was eating and looking better, so I grit my teeth and proceeded with the
Winstrol. I suspect that many vets might have abandoned ship at that point, and
pulled the Winstrol before it had had an opportunity to really have the desired
effect, but my vet was at least good enough to recognize that if this treatment
didn't work, my cat was out of luck, and she allowed me to continue on with the
Winstrol since Zander was doing better in so many other ways.

This was also our experience when I used Winstrol in another very elderly cat
who had a large and aggressive sarcoma in her sinus cavity, and again who was
not expected to live very long. She lived another 3 years after the diagnosis
(she was around 19 when she passed away), and I believe that the Winstrol
helped immensely in getting her to keep eating, and to keep the swelling under
control. With her, we definitely found that her liver enzymes spiked
dramatically with the use of the Winstrol, but settled down immediately with a
brief discontinuance of the drug.

Zander died at age 7 from cardiomyopathy - nothing to do with his liver. I
tortured myself with thoughts that maybe the Winstrol had caused the
cardiomyopathy, and for all I know, it did. However, again, I did a fair amount
of research and initially, I found references to a link between Winstrol and
cardiac damage, but the link was pretty tenuous at best, and seemed to be
suspected in athletes who had taken Winstrol at 100 X the recommended dosages
for years and years. My guilt has never gone away because of course, you never
know, but what I do know is that I would have lost him when he was only a year
old. If the Winstrol managed to give me 6 more very good years with my cat, who
played and was exceptionally affectionate and showed an extreme happiness with
his life, then I would have to say I have no hesitation in doing it again.

What I find truly bizarre is that given the death sentence that this disease
represents to cats, it should be very simple indeed to (a) have vets try the
Winstrol and see what their experience is with it (with the proviso that they
shouldn't pull a cat off the Winstrol just because the liver enzymes start to
go up) and (b) why haven't there been some decent clinical trials with this
stuff? The cats are zero given probability of surviving this disease. Even if
Winstrol only works sometimes, that is better than the odds we are given for
these cats at the moment."

Sandy - let me also point out that with further experience, I am now very
firmly of the view that it was the combination of Doxycycline, Winstrol
(stanozalol) and prednisone that was effective. Doxycycline is an antibiotic
which has interesting and effective properties against other viruses and
parasites as well. It is my hypothesis that the Doxycycline prevents the FeLV
virus from properly replicating (as it has been scientifically established to
interfere with cell wall synthesis in some other viruses), and simultaneously,
the WInstrol works on the bone marrow to get it to turn back on and start
producing the progenitor cells (immatures) of the red cell, white cell and
platelet lines. Winstrol is used in humans for severe and intractable
hereditary anemia, and of course, athletes use it to build up muscle and heal
injured tissues.

You will need the compounding pharmacy to get the Winstrol, and you will need a
vet who is onside. Some people on this forum have had good success with this
combination of medication.

Amani