Anton Khirnov (12023-04-24):
> So when I wanted to make changes to libavfilter recently, you claimed
> your familiarity with the code makes you more qualified to judge
> readability. Now my familiarity with the code makes me LESS qualified.
> Curious.

There is a difference between long-term knowledge of a large part of the
code and a short-term acquaintance with a limited slice of the code, I
hope you realize.

> We've also been moving private state to private data for many years now
> and none of your conjectured concerns materialized, to the contrary code
> became easier to maintain.

Untrue. For example, every instance of FFFormatContext in the code gives
places where the code has become that much more annoying to maintain.
Maybe the same code has become more maintainable at the same time due to
other changes, but the fact remains that these changes make it harder to
work on the code.

> Now that would be pure noise.

The only noise here is all the fgp_from_fg() you want to liter over the
code and the extra variables it requires.

> I have no idea what are you even objecting to. What is even
> controversial about not exposing state that does not need to be exposed?

I have explained time and again: I oppose to any change that requires us
to remember or check which structure a given field belongs to when it is
not already obvious by its semantic.

And again, there is nothing exposed to hide here.

--
  Nicolas George