Hi, all :)  I made a couple of significant purchases at Michigan Fiber
Festival, thought I'd share some thoughts on them, FWIW.

First--almost before the vendor booth was officially open--I bought some
beautiful Border Leicester/mohair 50-50 blends, dyed in wonderful autumn
colors.  They are, I guess, 'clouds' in that they aren't roving, but
they are well picked and probably carded at least once.  Super simple to
spin, I'm going to make a woven vest.  The colors are as subtle and soft
as the fiber--quiet golds, greens, and rusts with touches of purple and
blue.  I bought 2 pounds, so you know I was taken with the colors :)

At another booth there were two things that fascinated me.  One was some
angora/merion/silk roving that had been space dyed in wonderful color
combos.  She also had skeins of spun yarns from the
rovings--unfortunately, didn't have the color way I particularly loved
in the skein, to sell as roving, so I substituted two others.  One is in
soft golden yellow and peach, the other in medium oranges and pinks. 
They should work well together.  Since they were dyed as roving, they're
a bit of a pain to prepare for spinning, but worth the effort.

And <drumroll> I finally found a fast and affordable electric spinner! 
It has a motor that the man first said went to 5,000 rpm, later he said
he couldn't guarantee that, but I hope to contact him after he gets home
to talk about details like that.  What mattered is it definitely is
faster than my Ashford Traveller with the Lace Flyer, treadled at 100
treadles per minute--not a speed I can physically keep up for long, as
far as the treadling goes.  And it winds on very nicely, and the hooks
on the flyer are big enough they don't catch threads at all--what a
wonderful thing!  Every time I think a hook has caught a thread it turns
out to be something else.

I filled several bobbins yesterday, playing with a variety of fibers and
yarn types.  It spun everything with ease.  Best, probably, with
roving--can really zoom when the drafting is painless.  But the speed is
fully adjustable, so could do fine worsted yarns through to chunky
woolen with no problem.  It's also amazingly quiet, even at the fastest
speed.

Yippee! :)

And the downside--do beware when buying angora <sigh>  I thought I was
being careful--I asked the lady if it was plucked, and she assured me it
was.  She said I could open the container, which was marked 'prime' and
'1 ounce'.  The fibers on top were shorter than what I get, but that's
nearly always true, and they were clearly longer than 3 inches, so I was
reasonably satisfied.

Got it home, opened it up, just about passed out from the mildew smell I
hadn't noticed in the vendor barn.  Then weighed it--exactly 1/2 ounce,
not one ounce!  And then started spinning it--it's clipped, not plucked,
lots of second cuts, and LOTS of really short fiber--most of it averaged
well under 3 inches, much is as short as 2 inches.  My skein of finished
yarn is not close enough to 1/2 ounce after all that was shed to be able
to sell it.

I'll give the vendor a chance to make good on this product, but have to
say caveat emptor yet again.  One person's 'prime' angora is another's
trash fiber, good only for home use yarns.  It's a shame there's not a
better standard set.  Check the angora you buy carefully!  I was in a
hurry, or would have checked more closely.  Will next time, whether
rushed or not!

Holly

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to