> Surely, if the purple anti aliasing tint, (whatever that is),

It's actually an anti-halation dye in the film base.

> is still
> present, when scanning with the colour setting, you would possibly get a
> green cast, not purple, because you get the opposite colours when turning a
> neg into a positive image, just a thought.

Quite so. But since it's a B&W image it is easily dispensed with by doing
RGB->greyscale conversion, which renders the magenta as monochrome base fog
which is easily disposed of via levels. Turn it back to RGB afterwards, if you
want to print using CMYK.

You get less apparent grain scanning as RGB because of reduced aliasing effects.
Scanning as monochrome usually uses only one channel, usually the green.

I get very nearly neutral results on screen, but doing the above is an eye-watering
demo of metamerism on my Epson 1200. Depending on the light, the same print looks
neutral,
split-tone magenta-green, or split sepia-indigo. These gobstopper* prints are quite
attractive, but laughable really alongside bromides.

*'gobstoppers' being English slang for large round hard sweets (candies) formed from
multiple layers of sugar paste, so they change colour as you suck 'em.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
comparisons