On Mar 21, 2005, at 8:35 AM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

At 08:05 AM 03/21/2005, dhbailey wrote:
>What I do is to have a small header in the center of every page of my
>score, which I ensure gets extracted along with the parts. Then it's an
>easy matter to add something like "-- Instrument" to the header that's
>already there.

Yes, now we've come full circle. This is exactly what I suggested in my first reply to the original poster. <g>

Jonathan Smith seemed to be suggesting that Finale could automate the recurring page headers -- and it can, but only if you then do the p.1 header by hand.

One thing that is rather easy to do:

In your score, instead of the word "Instrument" that you have to change later, select the Text tool then from the Text menu> Insert > Description.

Once the parts are extracted, in each individual file you go to the File menu, where you select File Info and enter the instrument name in the Description field. The insert will be changed automatically.

This still means that you have to change things manually at least once. Where this really gets useful is if you have to edit an instrument name more than once, like if you are using Special Part Extraction, where the staff name header is not created automatically.

Christopher