On May 26, 2005, at 10:14 AM, Robert Patterson wrote:

One the main uses I have had recently for EPS is taking small musical examples into a text article in Word. I did it in MacFin03, and it worked extremely well. It is difficult for me to see how PDF would have been any where near as convenient. The main difference is being able to select an arbitrary rectangle for exporting to EPS. I don't recall any way to do this with PDF.

As Darcy pointed out to me recently (to my surprise!) you can crop a one-page PDF in pre-Tiger OSX Preview to any size you like. Multi-page PDFs need Tiger's Preview.

But Word (nor AppleWorks) isn't PDF savvy, so it only imports a low-res preview that prints with jaggies. You need Pages or some other more modern layout program to import PDF's properly.

Christopher