On Jun 18, 2005, at 1:14 PM, Jacki Barineau wrote:

on 6/18/05 3:42 PM, Harold Owen wrote:

Jacki,

Go to Options/Document Options/Music Spacing and check "Lyrics" under
"Avoid collision...." Select measures where lyrics collide, and press
4, then update the layout. If that doesn't solve the problem, you may
have to use "Fit Music" to arrange for fewer measures per system.

Thanks so much, Hal! The "4" did the trick - what is that a command for
anyway?!  Neat little thing there...!

- Jacki

Jumping in after Hal gave you a thorough method - the "4" with the Mass Edit tool selected will apply what Finale calls "Note Spacing" (hardly any different, in my experience, than "Beat Spacing" ["3" will apply that]) - but it seems to be the one most of us use, most of the time. You can control what that tool does by looking in the Options Menu under Document Options/Music Spacing, as Hal suggested. There are sometimes reasons to change the configuration of that option, but most of the time, you'll end up leaving it alone, once you've set it up the way you like. In the Edit Menu (at the bottom of the list), you can select Automatic Update Layout, and Automatic Music Spacing, then you will rarely need to apply the "4" or the Update Layout command (command \, on a Mac). Some people prefer to work with these things de-selected, saying that having them working automatically in the background slows things down. I haven't noticed that on my setup, so I leave them on all the time.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836