On Jun 18, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:
the "4" with the Mass Edit tool selected will apply what Finale calls "Note Spacing" (hardly any different, in my experience, than "Beat Spacing" ["3" will apply that]) - but it seems to be the one most of us use, most of the time.

Beat Spacing starts looking a LOT different when you have mixed subdivisions in a bar. It spaces so that 4 sixteenths takes up the same amount of room as 2 eighths or one quarter, which just looks lopsided in a single-part situation. Try mixing sixteenths, eighths and a half note in a bar, and space it with both to see the difference (update layout afterwards.) Try dotted rhythms, too. And in the case I mentioned with long lyric syllables on short note values, it greatly exaggerates the problem.

I do like Beat Spacing for scores, however, where after years of vertically aligning elements with a ruler I got used to the look of a metrically-spaced score.

Christopher