on 6/18/05 4:23 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

> If you have locked the systems (in Mass Edit, little non-printing
> padlocks show up in the right-hand margin) then Finale is prevented
> from re-flowing crowded measures to the next system. Select All and
> find Unlock Systems in the Mass Edit menu (on Mac the command for this
> is command-U; I don't know the PC keystroke) then do what Hal suggested
> and Update Layout for it all to take effect.
>
> In reality, though, the algorithm for spacing when lyrics are taken
> into account is badly designed. You may have to make quite a lot of
> manual adjustments in any case, no matter how you end up spacing
> automatically. Having a long syllable like "through" on a short
> rhythmic value messes the entire measure up. Turning OFF lyric
> collisions, respacing just that measure with Mass Edit 4, then manually
> adjusting (including resizing the measure) is the only way I know of to
> work it out. TG Tools has some additional help, but I don't imagine you
> have that.

Thanks, Christopher, for the additional info!  This was a song I originally
scanned in, and I *thought* when I chose the Page Format and then "Reformat
Pages" it erased all the little padlock thingies.  But maybe it really
didn't remove that formatting...

Anyway - I checked and my version (2005) does have "TG Tools"...

Thanks again!

Jacki