My approach, although I don't think I've done anything quite like B.F., is to
always give the performer something they can translate "on the fly."  An
example was a tempo transition in one of my pieces that I could hear very
clearly, but took me a few hours over a couple of days to figure out what it
was.  What it came down to was a change from a quarter note at 144 to one at
90, or a .625 or 1.6 (2/3) change.  The way I indicated it in the score - and
actually how I finally identified it - was by showing that 5 triplet eighths -
one triplet and two of another triplet - equalled the new quarter, a pretty
simple increase of 2/3 it turns out. This at least gives the conductor (or
performer as the case may be) a reference point, something to prepare
internally based on the old tempo, the most common approach to "metric
modulation.  This IMO, is the best approach to such moments - give a reference
point  in the old tempo.  It's hard to imagine a situation in which this
wouldn't !
 be practical.

Ken