Ok ... so I'd like to hear someone else confirm that the GPO sounds are no better at all than standard soundfonts. True? No? What's the concensus?

Dean

On Jul 29, 2005, at 1:58 PM, dhbailey wrote:

Well, my copy arrived, and installed, and eventually got GPO registered and Finale registered.

Can anybody explain why soundfont instruments playback at one volume while Kontakt instruments playback so much louder? With all the volume controls set to the same?

Can anybody explain why the solo clarinet sound in Kontakt/GPO doesn't sount any better than the clarinet in the included soundfont?

I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about -- the GPO sounds, coming through the same speakers, don't sound any better than the soundfont sounds.

The mid-measure repeat plug-in is pretty good, it does take into account the partial measures in renumbering things. That's impressive.

Deleting a measure somewhere before the mid-measure-repeat section also adjusts the measure numbering, including the partial measures. That's impressive.

The addition of 64 more midi channels is impressive, so that even for those of us for whom GPO isn't the be-all and end-all of playback, we can use as many midi devices as we choose, and get better playback. That's impressive.

It opened up a Finale2005 file without any problems, that's impressive.

One thing I can't figure out is where all the demo files got installed to on my computer. I also noticed what looked like a lot of .sf2 files being installed but can't find them on my computer. Does anybody know what's going on with them?

----
David H. Bailey

As a newly diagnosed diabetic, self denial is now my ally, exercise my master.

Dean M. Estabrook

Retired Church Musician
Composer, Arranger
Adjudicator