On 11 Aug 2005 at 6:17, Brad Beyenhof wrote:

> On 10/08/05, Johannes Gebauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Darcy James Argue schrieb:
> >
> > And it actually makes everyone else's life more difficult, unless
> > you actually want double messages, so from now on you (not you,
> > Darcy) will get double messages from me.
>
> Actually, he need not get double messages. There is an option in the
> Mailman preferences to "Avoid duplicate copies of messages: When you
> are listed explicitly in the To: or Cc: headers of a list message, you
> can opt to not receive another copy from the mailing list."

I' not sure I quite understand how the list software can address
that, as it isn't processing the header -- the sender's SMTP server
is doing it.

And, in any event, the problem is not duplication between headers, or
duplication of emails to the same address in a single header. It's
because the Reply-To header set by the list has two email addresses
in it, the Reply-To of the message sent (in the case of my posts,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]) plus the Finale mailing list. When someone replies
to that post and does not trim the poster's address, there's no way I
can imagine that the mailing list could eliminate any duplication,
since the mailing list software only sees the copy that is addressed
to it.

So far as I can tell, that setting applies only to duplication
between CC and To (which is what it says), and wouldn't have any
effect on the current situation.

BTW, I actually appreciate the efforts of the people who take the
time to trim out my email address when replying.

But the problem is not caused by *me* -- it's caused by an incorrect
configuration of the mailing list software. This is the only mailing
list I'ver ever subscribed to that exhibits this problem.