On 25 Sep 2005 at 13:34, Chuck Israels wrote: > Yes, I can hear a small difference. I know because I expected > (before reading carefully) to hear the more compressed file first and > noticed a slight veiling in the second sample.
Well, it seems to me that there's a slightly more realistic-sounding "envelope" to the highter-bitrate file, one that makes is sound slightly more like real instruments. But the difference is still so huge that I'm not sure it's worth the file size. > That said, I don't think it makes a whit of practical difference in > demonstrating the arrangement to those who may eventually play it. Just to clarify, this is not arranged by me. It's an arrangement that appeared in 1802, made by Gelinek. It's part of the repertory of pieces for my dissertation, from the very interesting subgroup of arrangements for piano quartet/quintet of works from other genres. It's a pretty good arrangement, too, I think. Also, there's some added ornamentation in the 2nd and 3rd movements that I believe tells us something about appropriate performance practice, or, at least, the ideas of Gelinek about it. The fact that the ornamentation is indicated (and only in the piano part) may also relate to the fact that there was a strong association of piano chamber music with amateur (and female) musicians. > I say, use smaller files in this instance. This from one who favors > good sound (and the unfortunately large file sizes that go with that) > for actual recordings. The only reason I would go for good sound is that this may be as close to a performance as these pieces ever get (though I'm trying hard to get them performed), so in that case, I'm not sure I want to spend my time creating the lower-quality MP3s. Of course, if I save the intermediate WAV file, I can generate MP3s of any quality at a later date, but I was hoping to skip that step so that I wouldn't have all those big WAV files littering my hard drive (which has a mere 2GBs of free space left). -- David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton David Fenton Associates http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
