On 25 Sep 2005 at 23:54, Kurt Gnos wrote:

> I use finale as a notation program, not for "real" music. .. .

Well, good for you!

> . . . If I was
> you, . . .

And you're clearly not.

> . . . and I would want a decent playback of a Finale file, I would 
> save it to midi, import it to Nuendo and use some sampler or sampling
> software. . . .

Well, that isn't going to happen. I'm perfectly happy with my Turtle 
Beach sound card for demo playback, and the only reason I'm making 
MP3s of the MIDI files is that I have discovered that hardly anyone 
has a soundcard or soft synth (except the pros) that sounds even half 
as good as my cheapo 7-year-old TB Montego II.

I don't have the computing power to get into the latest sample sets 
with their poorly designed players (I simply cannot understand why 
GPO with the Kontact player should take so damned much RAM when my 
dedicated TB sound card had not even close to the same amount of 
memory in it as is easily available in any recent PC) that are so 
inefficient they won't run reasonably well on multi-gigahertz boxes 
with gigabytes of RAM.

Color me completely unimpressed.

If the sounds were so great, it might be worth it, but overall, I am 
not that impressed with any complete sound sets I've demo'd.

Perhaps if you get into the realm of sample sets where you're paying 
thousands for a family of instruments and have dedicated equipment to 
process and render them for you it sounds pretty good, but I'm never 
going to be in that arena.

That anyone could be satisfied with sounds as unsatisfactory as the 
Quicktime Musical Instruments or the Finale Soundfont boggles my 
mind. From my point of view, those kind of soft synths are an 
enormous step backwards from the cheap dedicated wavetable 
synthesizers I've been using on PCs for nearly 10 years now. And 
because it's not a dedicated DSP processing the sound, you also end 
up with contention for the computer's CPU which greatly degrades the 
quality that you can get while doing any multitasking at all. This 
is, I assume, why those soft synths have such incredibly poor 
samples, because anything better would be too taxing for standard 
CPUs.

> . . . There are solutions out there, if they are programmed well,
> you almost cannot tell wether it's a synth or a real orchestra. (e. g.
> film scores.....). . . .

Oh, puh-leaze. I can tell a synthesized film score a mile away, not 
matter how good their samples were. They tend to lard on a huge 
amount of reverb to try to hide the inadequacy of the basic sound as 
a substitute for real strings and other real instruments, but anyone 
who has every listened to live orchestras knows perfectly well that 
it doesn't sound like the real thing.

> . . . And if it's real, you will hear the difference
> between mp3 (192) and CD (or SACD) anyway.

I don't hear the difference between CDs and SACD, for one. Actually, 
my 1985 Magnavox oversampling CD player sounds better than my 4-year-
old Sony DVD player that plays SACD.

>From where I sit, on all of these subjects, the emporer has no 
clothes more often than not.

-- 
David W. Fenton                        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to