On Sep 26, 2005, at 11:05 AM, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

David W. Fenton / 2005/09/25 / 04:21 PM wrote:

http://www.dfenton.com/Midi/MozartK581Arr/MozartK581ArrA.mp3
http://www.dfenton.com/Midi/MozartK581Arr/MozartK581ArrA1.mp3


I put them in a spectragraph, averaged between 2"30' and 3"30'.
<http://a-no-ne.com/temp/128vs192.gif>

I guess I had too much free time this morning :-)
Got to work...


Hey, thanks! I was very interested to see the difference, or rather, the lack of difference between the two encodings. Very surprising! A bit more mid-register goosing in the economical encoding, and a tad less high end at the very top (where I have all but ceased to hear anything in any case) but not too much difference! All there would be left to do is to compare them with the original (presumably sixteen-bit digital.) I would suppose that the maximum of about 3 dB differences in the mid-range wouldn't be very audible.

And despite David F.'s apparent lack of interest in the point that Kurt made, I would be most interested to see how the spectrographs compared when the source material was live instruments from a high-quality recording. I suspect that the difference between the two encoding systems would be more pronounced in that case, but I would be ecstatic to be proved wrong!

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to