On 26 Sep 2005 at 16:15, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> If you have "Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized" checked in your
> iTunes preferences, iTunes audio files are stored in: iTunes Music/
> Artist Name/Album Name

Ah. I'd *never* do it that way -- subfolders like that just don't
have anything to do with the way I would ever choose to organize my
music.

> By default, converted files will have the same album name and artist
> name as the source files, so they will be stored in the source
> folder, which may not be what you want. However, it's easy to select
> all the converted files and assign them a new "album" name after the
> fact, which will cause them to be moved to a folder with that "album"
> name.

Well, the problem here is that for iTunes to work, I'm stuck with
their straitjacket approach to storing the source files. Of course,
with all the batch converters I have, I can have only one destination
at a time, so I have to move files, anyway.

> I'm not sure what happens if you leave this item unchecked -- I
> believe in that case, iTunes simply saves the converted files to the
> same directory as the originals, and you would have to move them by
> hand.

Well, if that's what it did it would be exactly what I wanted 9 times
out of 10! I have never quite understood why that shouldn't be the
default for any batch converter, but obviously, I'm in the minority
on this -- I don't use these programs for anything like the same
purpose as the vast majority of people.