On Oct 3, 2005, at 2:42 AM, dc wrote:

The problem here, as often, is that aesthetic judgment rarely agrees with practical considerations. Page turns, spacing, layout, font size, etc.: in many cases, what looks best isn't necessarily the most legible and the most practical. I agree entirely with you: the spacing and the music looks better without the hyphen. But I know certain publishers who don't accept the omission of hyphens. So I'd be interested in hearing other opinions and experiences.

Personally, I say that legibility IS aesthetics. When I spend time tweaking the spacing it's not to make it more beautiful; it's to maximize the communication from the page to the musician.

If a publisher doesn't accept the omission of a hyphen, then that's a style choice I disagree with. But I'm happy to set my preference aside and follow the publisher's style, just as I have on plenty of other minor style details.

I, too, would be interested in hearing other opinions and experiences.

mdl

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to