| So I finished this project, 24 tunes, most of them at least 4 pages in length. I had to go with "avoid lyric collisions," because the alternative would have created too many collisions for me to deal with. But using "avoid collisions" created some ugly results. Here's an example: the word "straight" under an 8th note at the end of a measure, tied to a note in the next measure. The left side of the 8th note is 5/8 of an inch to the left of the right barline. That looks really bad. One thing that I noticed: all syllables with word extensions are aligned left (instead of center) by default. When I change the alignment to center, it seems to help. But is that acceptable? Are syllables with word extensions SUPPOSED to be aligned left? Centering looks better to me, but what do I know? I like Cleveland. ;-) (I just looked in a Hal Leonard Beatles songbook, and most syllables with word extensions are aligned left, but some are centered. And I didn't find any of this unsightly extra spacing with tied notes, so whoever did this book either used a program that handles this issue, or else they got rid of the extra space manually.) I also tried doing one of the (shorter) tunes in Sibelius 4, and you're right, Sibelius does seem to handle this tied-note-lyric issue better than Finale. I wonder why. I couldn't use Sibelius for this project, though, because I just don't know that program well enough to get the output to look the way I want it. I find it MUCH easier to change things like staff spacing in Finale. Plus, in Sibelius, I can't figure out how to create measure expressions that are different sizes and different fonts. It appears to me that all measure expressions have to be the same size and font. Anyway, I hope that this tied-note-lyric issue can be addressed by MM in the future, because as it is today, this behavior is unacceptable, and fixing it is a lot of extra work. Lon On Oct 1, 2005, at 11:10 AM, greghamilton wrote:
******************************************** Lon Price, Los Angeles |
_______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
