I wouldn't touch 2006 with a 20 foot pole. It is really buggy, slow, and generally a waste of money in my opinion. 2005 was the last version that was any good (in my opinion). However, I do think that 10.4 is the system to use. I've noticed speed gains on my aging systems.

It also depends on your system. I have a G4 933Mhz, and a MiniMac. Both are maxed out in ram. With Finale 2006, both are unstable, the MiniMac being the most unstable (crashes when printing). The 933 G4 also will randomly dump out of Finale 2006.

I cannot remember if Finale 2005 did that, but I'm pretty sure it was way more stable than 2006. Basically, you are getting GPO with 2006. Which, in my opinion, is fluff.

Thurletta Brown-Gavins wrote:
I currently use Finale 2002 in OS 9.2.2 on a dual-boot (OS 9.2.2 and 10.3.9) G4 with a MidiMan 1x1 and Yamaha PSR-79 keyboard. I use it only six or seven times a year for choir/organ music (inserting paraphrased lyrics into hymns, transposing, putting refinishing touches on my Christmas anthem, creating a decent funeral-recessional based on "Caisson Song" [I kid you not!], etc., but when I use it, I need it to work *perfectly* without any problems. That's the case now with 2002, but it sure would be nice to be able to work in OS 10.3.9 (don't plan to touch 10.4 with a ten-foot pole).

Have been reading about bugs in 2006...and today some folks were talking about bugs in 2005. The question is: Since resources are tight, do I upgrade to 2005, spring for the buggy 2006 before the upgrade offer expires in December and pray things will be resolved, or wait for 2007? (As an illustration of tight resources, I used Finale 3.7 until the "amnesty upgrade offer" for $99 came into being for 2002!)

Your thoughts would be appreciated before the current 2006 upgrade offer expires in December and all the 2005's disappear from eBay. I'll probably not be lucky enough to get another "$99 amnesty offer" from MakeMusic in this lifetime. ;o)
Thanks,
Thurletta M. Brown-Gavins