On Nov 3, 2005, at 6:06 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

On 3 Nov 2005 at 16:13, Chuck Israels wrote:

Well, that is true of me, but Gary is a neighbor (on an island I see
from my window), and I benefitted from that and the fact that I
recorded jazz bass samples for him.  Still, I'd have been glad to get
the GPO "lite" that comes with 2006.  It's such an improvement over
what Andy Homzy calls "the little kazoo band" we used to have to
hear, and it requires little fussing.  What fussing it allows is
pretty transparent in how it works.

I don't understand remarks like this. No one was ever limited to the
soundfont that Finale started providing with Finale 2004. especially
when you consider that Finale *didn't* provide it before then.

David,

We all have different levels of interest and ability at "attaching" things to Finale. That's what made the sound improvements attractive to someone like me. Maybe you have to have some empathy for different experience and "courage" about this kind of thing to understand the remark. That I am ignorant of some things, or reluctant to get into the necessary new learning to make them work, is clear. That doesn't make me hopelessly flawed because I have different attitudes and experience than you. I am probably among the oldest folks on this list and have come to computer work quite late in life. I have some intuition and am not dumb, but there's a lot I don't know and a lot that is daunting to me. I do my best.

I don't believe it's Finale's job to provide good playback sounds. I
understand *why* they feel they have to provide good playback, but I
don't support it myself.

I'm OK with that, and didn't care that much when there was hardly any playback, and it was klunky. Still, easily used integrated playback improvements are attractive to me, and probably many others who are not posting to this list.

GPO integration with Finale is a complete non-issue for me -- it
neither makes me want to upgrade nor discourages me from doing so.
But that's because I've had sounds available to me for a long time
that I consider superior to the "little kazoo band."

Good for you, and my bad that I waited for Finale to do this before doing it myself. I used to like manual transmissions too, but the automatic in my very good car has improved to the point that it shifts better than I do.

I'd much rather
MakeMusic were investing their time and energy in something else,
but, as with so many things, I'm not the target audience.

OK, and I'm not the target for auto harmonizer. But auto harmonizer is probably not very useful for many folks, and I believe GPO is. I'm happy there are things that others can use that I don't happen to need, and that they keep MM in business. That doesn't keep me from understanding and agreeing that there continues to be room for improvement in the music prep end (or beginning) of Finale.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836