On 4 Nov 2005, at 02:06, David W. Fenton wrote:

On 3 Nov 2005 at 16:13, Chuck Israels wrote:

Well, that is true of me, but Gary is a neighbor (on an island I see
from my window), and I benefitted from that and the fact that I
recorded jazz bass samples for him.  Still, I'd have been glad to get
the GPO "lite" that comes with 2006.  It's such an improvement over
what Andy Homzy calls "the little kazoo band" we used to have to
hear, and it requires little fussing.  What fussing it allows is
pretty transparent in how it works.

I don't understand remarks like this. No one was ever limited to the
soundfont that Finale started providing with Finale 2004. especially
when you consider that Finale *didn't* provide it before then.

I do understand remarks like this. Those of us who are reluctant to spend a lot of time making audio demos, but who nevertheless welcome the opportunity to easily make some sort of soundfile for our clients or ourselves from Finale scores welcome the new features of Fin2006. I already used GPO prior to Fin 2006. Setting up all the sounds for every score was rather time- consuming in the past. Fin 2006 integrates GPO in a way that makes it easy.

If you don't use GPO you may well turn up your nose at this. Maybe you are right in that case to give Fin 2006 a miss.

Yes, the bugs sound scary. Using Fin 2006 I have more than once been bitten by the bug that "unexpectedly" quits when you try to print. I have followed MakeMusic!'s advice to trash Finale's preferences, and Darcy's advice to delete all the printer settings other than the default. It's too soon to know if doing these things have solved it.

MakeMusic were investing their time and energy in something else,
but, as with so many things, I'm not the target audience.

I don't suppose I'm the target audience either. Every new release of Finale contains features that hold no interest for me, but I respect their right to make these decisions according to their perceptions of what their customers want.

John