Dear Kurt,

On the imploding issue. Whenever I do this operation, I always clear note expressions, articulations, and smart shapes (using mass edit) from the lower parts and implode them into the highest selected part. This avoids the problem of having duplicates in the imploded result. (Articulations and expressions are also duplicated if you don't remove them first, though you might not notice if they are superimposed on one another.) I never thought about how this might be done better automatically by Finale. It only takes a moment or two.

I have never had the extra last page problem.

I have never used "Space Systems Evenly" since the results seem unpredictable. I prefer to zero all the system margins and place a value in the "Space Between Staves" box. If you set that as you want it on system 2 (system 1 often has more space above it) and select apply to system 2 thru - and leave the last entry box blank (or enter a zero), all subsequent systems will be identically spaced. I usually enter a value that I have reason to think will be visually attractive for the piece in general, and make adjustments on those pages and systems that require it. I have always thought that one of the strengths of computer notation was the fact that inter-staff spacing could be changed according to the needs of legibility - (leaving extra space for ledger lines, expressions, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Chuck