Mike Greensill / 2006/01/17 / 03:43 PM wrote:

>It seems that nearly every time I open Finale now it tells me that
>it's expecting blah, blah, blah midi device. Of course the midi
>device is still connected and turned on from the last time I opened
>Finale. Finale seems to have forgotten. So I go to midi set-up and
>sure enough the midi device is greyed out. BUT, nothing I do seems to
>have any affect in that dialogue box, I scan for midi devices , I set
>up a new configuration, blah, blah, blah, then after about an hours
>wasted time it'll suddenly decide to work. I don't know what I've
>done to set if off!

This doesn't sound Finale problem.  I assume you are on Mac.  If Finale
doesn't see MIDI device then your AMS isn't seeing it as well.  Open AMS
and see if your device is active, and use Check Connection to make sure
you hear notes.

What is your interface?
Do you have latest driver?
If USB, is it on a hub?
If Hub, is it powered?
What is your host CPU?

>  Is this a preference's thing? Because I've had trouble with Finale
>forgetting them when I open it by double clicking on a file. Don't
>know if it's related but I've programmed Finale's start-up action be
>the launch window. But it never opens when start Finale.

I found Finale pref to be somewhat unstable, not to mention they are
using legacy binary file and com file.  It seems "Save Pref on Quit" is
somewhat unreliable so I often Save Pref manually.  Even with this,
Finale forgets default window position often.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>