In the past I used to use 100% page scale of Finale's default 85% system
scaling for parts, but recently I've been using 90% page scale, which even
to this aging string player's eyes is quite easy to read.  I use a music
spacing scaling factor of 1.4 for parts (1.6179 for scores).  My parts are
8.5x11 (folded/stapled booklets on 11x17), but I cheat on the margins and
push things to within 3/8" inch from the page edge (sorry, MOLA).  I keep
meaning to get a supply of 12x18 paper one of these days for parts, but
inertia reigns.

I think a lot of the readability factor has to do with making a clean
layout, and keeping elements that don't belong together away from one
another.  I spend a great deal of time on parts, as much as 3-4 hours or
more each for a lengthy piece of say, 10-15 pages.  It is very time
consuming to do a good job of adding useful cues, making decent page turns,
carefully tweaking the layout for maximum readability, and doing multiple
rounds of meticulous proofreading.  But the musicians always love playing
from my parts -- no errors, easy to read, good cues -- probably moreso
compared to some of the garbage orchestral parts they are sometimes forced
to play from (I'm also an orchestral librarian).  The main goal, as always,
is to remove from the parts every possible obstacle to a good reading, and
avoid wasting precious rehearsal time.

For large size conductor's orchestral scores, I've settled on 11x14 as a
useful standard.  I avoid 11x17 unless absolutely necessary (unusually large
number of staves), because it doesn't fit in standard size briefcases, and
tends to be a little too "floppy".  Smaller than 11x14 might be ok for
scores with say, 12 or fewer staves, but otherwise would be too small to
read comfortably at "conducting" distance.  Note: I used to print scores on
11x17 and take them in to be trimmed to 11x14 as needed, until it struck me
that it was a lot more convenient (and cheaper) to have an entire ream of
11x17 cut to 11x14 at once.  Now I hardly ever have to go to Kinko's (that's
a good thing).

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com