I tried all-English a few years ago, but I've reverted to a hybrid that
includes the common Italian terms.  For example, I use "mute on" and "mute
off" as advance warnings, but "con sord." and "senza sord." at the points
where actual playing begins.  Not standard, but makes sense to me.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com