On Apr 7, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:
(Whoever decided that turnable knobs on a computer screen are a good idea should be prosecuted!)

I agree with you, but here's something that made my life easier.

Think of the knob as a clock.

If you move from centre to anywhere between noon and 3 o'clock, the value goes up. Don't try to turn the knob with a rotary motion, just move in a straight line north-east.

If you move from centre to anywhere between 6 and 9 o'clock, the value goes down. Move straight south-west.

Never mind the late afternoon (3 to 6), nor late night (9 to midnight) areas. The knob could turn opposite to what you want it to, or barely move at all in these areas.

It's kind of as if they had mounted a slider at a 45 degrees angle. Stupid, yes, but that's how it works.

Christopher