I never thought about Heinichen losses in Dresden....but it makes a  lot of sense, geez I wonder how much of his stuff we have lost in addition to other music.

Someone that's used the library in Dresden told me their manuscripts are in very bad shape. Mice have chewed holes in music manuscripts and destroyed many compositions. They told me the collection there is one of the worst physical condition in Germany.

Kim

On 4/10/06, Johannes Gebauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 10.04.2006 Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
> Most of the infomation I have read, seems to place a lot of the Albinoni losses at Dresden. Why or how the manuscripts ended there, I don't know. I read that almost 40 Vivaldi violin concerti were destroyed in Dresden, and they were only sources. But Vivaldi's pupil Pisendel was in Dresden, so that explains that connection. Unsure why Albinoni would have had such a presence in library/archives.

That wasn't my question. I know that most of Albinoni's losses are
placed in Dresden. But Most of Heinichen's stuff was, too, and that was,
to my knowledge, lost in the 18th century, when Frederick the Great
invaded Dresden. A lot of music burnt at that time. I don't know the
details, but I would assume that Albinoni's losses suffered the same fate.

That would also explain why no catalogue exists today.

I am sure you can find more info in the infamous Musica Antiqua CD of
Heinichen concerti. In this case only the material survives which was
sent outside of Dresden or published, which was, by the king's order,
incomplete. Again, I am not well-informed on all of this, but that's
what I remember.

Otherwise I only know of water-damage from the war and after, but not of
war losses in Dresden. That doesn't mean there weren't any. But was the
content not taken elsewhere during the war, like it was in Berlin? Some
parts of the Berlin library collection still haven't returned, like the
enormous collection in Krakow, which includes some of the most important
Bach manuscripts.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de

Kim Patrick Clow
"There's really only two types of music: good and bad." ~ Rossini