I cringe at the sheer amount of music lost from the baroque (and I am not just speaking about Dresden). I think Christoph Wolf puts the losses for Johann Sebastian Bach up to 60 percent in some areas (such as trio sonatas). The losses from Cothen and Weimar are particularly sad, and the music of Bach's peers at those courts were lost too. They wrote many many pieces of music, wouldn't it be grand to hear what was played?

Fasch: we lost a lot of at Zerbst (he wrote over 11 cantata cycles!). Graupner's co-Kapellmeister at Darmstadt wrote many many pieces of music ( about 10 cantata cycles plus lots of instrumental music)--all of it burnt at his request when he died. Also very little of Graupner's predecessor at Darmstadt survives either; and it had to have been a substantial output, he wrote music for over 50 years.

Gottfried Stozel (who Bach really admired)---most of his output is forever gone. Not sure what happened to it--was it thrown out? Or just burnt like rubbish after he died?

OH well, we're forunate I suppose that we have what has survived so many wars, fires, and theft.

Kim

On 4/10/06, Johannes Gebauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 10.04.2006 Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
> Someone that's used the library in Dresden told me their manuscripts are in very bad shape. Mice have chewed holes in music manuscripts and destroyed many compositions. They told me the collection there is one of the worst physical condition in Germany.

No doubt, although they are trying to get things in better shape. Water
(whashed out manuscripts) seemed to me the worst problem from my more
recent experiences with Dresden.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de

Kim Patrick Clow
"There's really only two types of music: good and bad." ~ Rossini