Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
At 09:15 AM 6/20/2007 -0400, dhbailey wrote:
I'll bet that if you submitted that circular score to most human engravers, they also would be unable to engrave it. It is a graphic design issue, not a notation engraving issue.

They're integral. The separation is artificial and underscored by Finale's
"scroll" view. Music may be linear in its process through time, but scores
are graphical representations in multiple dimensions -- duration as x-axis,
pitch and orchestration as two different y-axes, expression and dynamics as
various z-axes, the dimension of pages (where page turns play a role), time
folded on itself with repeats or da capos, orchestration folded on itself
with doublings, the wandering x-axes of voices (Finale's differently name
"voices" and "layers"), protrusions from other dimensions with cues and
ossias, invisibility cloaks ("optimization" in Finale terms), non-musical
information (titles and page numbers and headers and footers), etc., etc.

As a followup, I just want to let you know, Dennis, that I have just submitted 3 feature requests (or asked that my name be added to the list of users wanting these features, if such lists already exist):

1) spiral, circular or other graphically-based score capability

2) uneven bar-lines

3) ability to beam across barlines with a single keystroke from within speedy entry or simple entry, to expedite the process that's now possible but is more time consuming.

Just to show you that I really am not trying to say that I am 100% pleased with Finale's notation, and that I am all in favor of whatever improvements people wish to see.

But I still hold that these things are not the signs of an immature product. ;-)

--
David H. Bailey