Your site simply proves my point.
I freely admit I like music in straight lines!
I don't want or need staggered barlines, or the various geegaws(?) you
mention. Stockhausen? Who?
Un-metered music? Not my scene- and I suspect that there are a lot of
Finale-ists out there who would never use 'circles', 'tapers' etc.
Why should I clutter my tool with things I will never need?
You guys that want them- go for it!
I want to produce printed music for a band, orchestra or smaller combos to
play, enjoy playing and for Joe Public to enjoy listening to.

The question of Brahms v Stockhausen? I wouldn't know- but check the sales
figures of recordings of both!

Seriously- enjoy *your* music scene! I listened to the recently posted clip
of Cage. No thanks- I'll stick to Brahms, Elgar, Sinatra, Charlie Parker,
Queen, AC-DC etc, etc!

Cheers K in OZ

Keith Helgesen.
Ph: (02) 62910787. 
Mob 0417-042171

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Dennis Bathory-Kitsz
Sent: Wednesday, 20 June 2007 10:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Finale] e mails

At 06:40 AM 6/20/2007 -0400, dhbailey wrote:
>But in general, the notation aspects of Finale are very mature and there 
>isn't  all that much room for improvement. 

Whaaaaaaa?

Please do me this:
http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/waam/lunar-cascade-june.pdf
(Yeah, I had one day both to compose and notate
this sucker since it's part of my WAAM project,
so it could be better.)

Or Stockhausen's 1961 "Refrain". Or stuff from 
the collection "Notations" or if that seems too 
old and quaint and nobody does that anymore, 
then try most scores from the 2006 collection 
"Sound:Visions" where by golly they do still do 
notation that isn't stuck.

Or even staggered barlines. Or without kluges, 
unmetered music or beaming over barlines (why 
shouldn't the Speedy "/" just toggle that natively?)
or or or or...

Finale is "mature" like Brahms is mature: Dead. 
Both managed to miss most of more than a 
century's worth of notational growth and change, 
and is now focused on marketing geegaws.

I know most of the folks on this list are perfectly 
satisfied with Finale's notation choices, but if the 
music doesn't conform to these choices, by gosh 
it's hard to do even simple tasks and nearly 
impossible to do anything complicated.

There isn't all that much room for improvement?
Hah.

Dennis




_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to