I am working on an interactive jazz arranging book/DVD - whatever it's going to turn out to be - for Gary Garritan. I am convinced that this technology provides a useful sketch tool for composer arrangers who don't have musicians available, but it only serves as a severely limited interim sketch tool.

I wish I were better equipped to describe the differences between midi instrument playback (at the mundane level of notation software playback) and living musicians. It might be a useful descriptive skill to include in the book.

Chuck

Chuck,
There may indeed be some real "teachable moments" in this...would make students more
aware of good performance practice and also might make for less mundane MIDI renderings as well!
Has anyone authored a "jazz performance practice" text as has been done for other types
of music?

Jim