I think I get it now. The Bill Duncan fonts - for which I hadn't thought to install the FAN files into 2k8, push other objects out of the way when the FAN files are absent, so it looks as if normal objects are also messed up when, in fact, only the non-Finale fonts are the culprits.

So take Darcy's advice, if the problem appears, and copy all "foreign" FAN files into the new version's Font Annotation folder, and it should clear up.

Chuck